Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Trip to the Theatre - Part One

This is probably going to be an ongoing series of posts since I work in theatre and spend a lot of time around them.

This time I took Slim. We went to see the show Ella at the Omaha Community Playhouse. (It is the largest community playhouse in the country and it was founded in 1924 and starred a 20 year old journalism student named Henry Fonda in its first season!)

If you can't tell, OCP holds a special place in my heart. I have had the priviledge of working shows there for the last 5+ years.

Ella was a spectacular show starring Kathy Tyree as Ella Fitzgerald. The show was a combination of biography, one woman show, and a musical review. It was simply spectacular. I can think of no other words to describe it.

I took one picture of the set before the show started and you can see it below. The set was beautifully designed by Jim Othuse and made use of beaded columns that changed color depending on the mood of the song or of the show at that moment. (Jim was also the lighting designer for the show.)

I saw Ella on its last weekend and was thrilled. I wish I had seen it opening weekend so that I could have encouraged more people to go see it.

I wasn't sure that Slim would enjoy the show since he didn't even know who Ella Fitzgerald was. (I grew up listening to her music. Thanks, Grandma!) However, he really had a good time, even tapping his foot along to some of the more upbeat songs and laughing at the jokes.

I think we both had a great time (but do you know how difficult it is to get more than a shrug and a, "Yeah,"?)

No comments:

Post a Comment